Barnet District Gas & Water Co. was formed out of three earlier gas and water companies which amalgamated; East Barnet Gas & Water Co. (est. 1866), Potters Bar Gas & Coke Co. (est. 1869) and Barnet Consumers Gas Co. (est. 1871).
In 1872 East Barnet Gas & Water Co. absorbed the other two companies and became incorporated as Barnet District Gas & Water Co.
The main works were situated in East Barnet Valley and supplied an area including Enfield, Finchley and Friern Barnet. The works belonging to Potters Bar Gas & Coke Co. and Barnet Consumers Gas Co. were closed down.
Barnet District Gas & Water Co. was taken over by Tottenham & Edmonton Gas Light & Coke Co. in 1938, which became part of the Eastern Gas Board following the nationalisation of the gas industry in 1949.