Baxendale & Co. Ltd.

Baxendale & Co. Ltd.

Baxendale & Co. was a firm of hardware manufacturers and suppliers which was established in 1863 by Laban Baxendale and his future brother-in-law, Alfred Innes. The company was originally based in Salford, Greater Manchester, but in 1892 moved to Shudehill Mill (commonly known as Arkwright’s Mill) in Miller Street, Manchester where it remained until the building was destroyed in the Blitz in 1940.

By 1914 Baxendales were described as furniture, lead and electrical manufacturers as well as hardware and builders merchants. The business had expanded to Liverpool, Edinburgh and Dublin and had a staff of 1,250.

Baxendale’s centenary catalogue (1963) describes the business as “manufacturers, merchants and suppliers to the plumbing, building, decorating, electrical, glass, hardware and ironmongery trades.” The catalogue lists a huge range of products from shop signs and lead light windows, to tools, paints, taps, cisterns and sinks.

Baxendales were prolific users of overprints throughout their history. There are varieties with Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh, and with no name given. Interestingly, the company overprints all appear in styles designed to respectfully keep the Monarch’s profile free of the print.

Back