The Bishop’s Stortford Gas Co. was established in 1834 to supply gas to the town of Bishop’s Stortford in Hertfordshire, and the surrounding district.
In 1903 the company acquired the Stansted Mountfitchet Gas Co. Ltd. and was reincorporated as the Bishop’s Stortford & District Gas Co.
In 1910 it was amalgamated with the Harlow & Sawbridgeworth Gas Co. and the Epping Gas Co., the Ongar Gas Co., the Newport (Essex) Gas Co. Ltd. and the Much Hadham Gas Co. Ltd were vested into the amalgamated company to empower it to supply electricity.
The company changed its name in 1934 to the Bishop’s Stortford Epping & District Gas Co.
When the gas industry was nationalised in 1948 the undertaking became part of the Tottenham Division of the Eastern Gas Board.