The first gas supplier in Brighton was the Brighton Gas Light and Coke Company which was established in 1819. In 1825 a rival concern named the Brighton & Hove General Gas Company established a works adjacent to St. Andrew’s Church, Hove. The company continued manufacturing gas there until 1871, when a large new works was opened on the southern arm of Shoreham Harbour at Portslade-by-Sea.
On January 1st 1882 the Brighton & Hove General Gas Company absorbed its older rival and in 1885 all manufacture was transferred to the Portslade works. As the demand for gas continued to grow yearly, the Portslade works were rebuilt and enlarged in the 1920s.
In 1931 the company absorbed the Worthing Gas Company to become the Brighton, Hove & Worthing Gas Company.
The gas industry was nationalised on 1st May 1949 and the Brighton, Hove & Worthing Gas Company became part of the South Eastern Gas Board.