The Bristol Gas Light Co. was formed in 1818. Soon expanding beyond its premises in Temple Back, the company moved to Avon Street in 1821.
In 1853 the Bristol Gas Light Co. merged with the other gas company in Bristol, the Oil Gas Co., to form the Bristol United Gaslight Co. Its supply area was the city and county of Bristol and the Electoral District within seven miles of the city.
The company continued to grow and in 1891 the name was changed to the Bristol Gas Co.
When the gas industry was nationalised in 1949 the Bristol Gas Co. became part of the South Western Gas Board.