Brookfields was a department store in the town of Stafford from 1865 to 1909.
The origins of the business go back to 1843 when Thomas Boulton and John Talbot opened a drapery store in Market Square. The two men retired in 1865, and John Brookfield and John Windows, who had been senior assistants at Boultons, took over what had now grown into a department store. The business was a complex one; the ironmongery and household goods departments traded at Gaolgate Street and were called Brookfields (Successor). The men’s outfitting was re-established as Brookfields on the corner of St. Mary’s Gate, and the ladies’ outfitting department moved to 4 Greengate Street and traded as Turner & Co.
Arthur Brookfield later took control of the company from his father, but following the sudden death of his brother in 1909, he decided to retire and Brookfields was sold off to a number of retail businesses.