Broom & Wade was established in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, in 1898 by Henry Skeet Broom and Jethro Thomas Wade, initially as a general engineering company. The firm soon opened a foundry to cast metal tools with an eye on woodmaking machinery that would serve the local furniture making industry. The foundry proved highly successful and Broom & Wade’s range of business diversified.
By 1910 the local furniture making industry had slumped and the company began to concentrate on compressed air machinery, parts and pneumatic tools. BroomWade was the company’s registered trademark introduced in c.1931. In 1935 the business was incorporated as a limited company.
Broom & Wade Ltd. merged with Holman Bros. Ltd. in 1968 to form CompAir Ltd. which was acquired by the Gardener Denver Inc. group of companies in 2008.