Brown-Westhead, Moore & Co. was a company of porcelain and earthenware manufacturers at the Cauldon Works, Shelton, Stoke-upon-Trent, from 1862 until 1904.
The origins of the company can be traced to 1773 when a famous potter called Job Ridgway founded the Cauldon Works. Job Ridgway died in 1814 and his company passed into the hands of his two sons, John and William. Following the retirement of his brother, John Ridgway continued the business alone until his own retirement in 1856. The company was subsequently led by William Bates and Thomas Chapell Brown-Westhead.
The business continued to be centred at the Cauldon Works in Shelton and it became one of the largest and most eminent factories in the district. Following a serious accident in 1861 Bates withdrew from the partnership and William Moore joined the company which became styled Brown-Westhead, Moore & Co. The company retained this title until 1904 although from 1890 the firm started using the words “Cauldon” or “Cauldon Works” as part of its mark.
The company became Cauldon Limited from 1905 to 1920 and Cauldon Potteries from 1920 to 1962.
In 1962 the company was broken up; the porcelain side of the business was taken over by E. W. Brain & Co. (now Coalport, which in turn is part of the Wedgwood group), and the rest of the Cauldon Potteries business was acquired by Pountney & Co. of Bristol.