Bullard, King & Co. was a shipping company established in 1850 by Daniel King and Samuel Bullard. The company began with a fleet of small sailing ships trading from the Thames to the Mediterranean under the flag of the White Cross Line.
In 1879 Bullard, King built its first steam ship and introduced the Natal Direct Line to carry passengers directly to Durban and later East African ports. 1889 saw the start of sailings from India to South Africa to carry field labourers for the sugar plantations.
In 1911 immigration from India was stopped and in 1919 Bullard, King was taken over by the Union-Castle Line, although it kept its independent identity and colours. The last Bullard King ships were merged into the Springbok Line in 1960.