In 1877 two well-established joint-stock banks called the Hampshire Banking Company and the North Wilts Banking Company merged to form the Hampshire & North Wilts Banking Company.
The new bank was renamed Capital & Counties in 1878, the directors having decided that they wanted a less provincial title.
Capital & Counties Bank had its head office in Southampton and 56 branches throughout the south and south-west of England.
Capital & Counties began a period of expansion through a series of takeovers and branch openings and the headquarters were moved to London. By the start of the 1890s it had emerged as one of the few banks to have a truly nationwide network. By 1918 the bank had 473 branches.
In 1918 Capital & Counties was taken over by Lloyds Bank.