Charles Arkcoll was a wholesale grocer in Maidstone, Kent.
Pigot’s Directory of Kent 1824 lists the company as “John Arkcoll, 121 Stone Street, Maidstone. Grocer and Tea Dealer.”
By 1858 Charles Arkcoll is head of the business. Melvilles Trade Directory of this year lists the company as “ wholesale grocer and cheesemonger”.
By the end of the 19th century, Charles Arkcoll was the biggest importer of cheese from Holland in the UK. The cheese was stored in the company’s warehouse in Borough, London before being transported to Maidstone.
It appears that Arkcolls continued until at least 1968, remaining at the same premises in Maidstone throughout its history.