Charrington, Gardner, Locket were coke and coal merchants. Formed in 1731, the company was headed by five generations of men named John Charrington.
By the beginning of the 20th century, the company had expanded its coal selling operations into coal transport. Included in the company’s fleet, were ships named The Lady Charrington and The John Charrington. Charrington’s railroad cars and coal delivery trucks became a common sight in Britain.
By the 1960s, Charrington, Gardner, Locket were also involved in mechanical engineering, designing a barge that moved the American Wind Symphony Orchestra along the Thames through London.
The company seems to exist today as Charringtons Solid Fuel, though it is probably owned by a larger conglomerate that keeps the familiar Charrington name for marketing reasons.