The Commercial Union Assurance Co. was established on 28th September 1861. Provisionally called the Commercial Union Fire Insurance Co., temporary offices were established at 34 Greenchurch Street in London.
Although established to transact fire business, the company added life assurance in 1862 and marine insurance in 1863. In 1900 the company expanded its business to include burglary and accident insurance followed by plate glass insurance in 1901 and trustee and executor business by 1905.
In 1988 Commercial Union merged with General Accident plc and a year later the company name was changed to CGU International Insurance plc.
In 2000 a merger took place with Norwich Union plc to form CGNU plc, which was re-branded in July 2002 as Aviva plc.
As can be seen from the images below, there are several different overprint types associated with the Commercial Union Group.