Comptoir National d’Escompte de Paris was a leading French retail bank from 1848 until 1966.
The bank was formed on 7th March 1848 in Paris. In 1860 it opened its first foreign agency in Shanghai. In subsequent years new offices opened in Calcutta, Bombay, Hong Kong and Saigon; and then London, Yokohama and Alexandria. 1867 saw the opening of the first provincial agency in France in Nantes, followed by Lyon and Marseille.
In 1966 Comptoir National d’Escompte de Paris, along with three other French banks, merged to create BNP Paribas, which was rated in 2010 as the largest bank in the world by assets with over $ 3.1 trillion.
Comptoir used commercial overprints in the Victorian period. Full name overprints appear on SG F19 and SG 172, while the initials only overprints can be found on Foreign Bill stamps.