The Croydon Commercial Gas & Coke Company was formed in 1846. By 1866 the company had acquired more land at Waddon and completed a new works in 1867. In 1904 the company changed its name to the Croydon Gas Company.
By 1906, the Croydon Gas Company works occupied about 31 acres. The offices and the main showroom were in Katherine Street, about one and a half miles from the works. In 1929 the company acquired further premises in Purley Way which were converted into stove repair shops, meter stores, a testing station and a garage. A further gasholder station at Whyteleafe had also been added by 1935.
The company absorbed the Carshalton Gas Company in 1894 and the Caterham and District Gas Company in 1905. It then took over the Oxted and Limpsfield Gas Company in 1931. By 1936 it supplied an area of 73 square miles.
On nationalisation in 1949 the undertaking became part of the East Surrey Division of the South Eastern Gas Board.