Cryselco was established in 1895 to manufacture the then new concept of electric lamps (15 years after Thomas Edison had invented the light bulb) at premises in Kempston, Bedford.
During the 1930s the company prospered so well that it was regarded as a monopoly by the Government and was split up and sold to two smaller rivals : Philips and General Electric Company.
Lamp manufacturing continued at the Bedfordshire site until the late 1950s. Light fittings had been produced by Cryselco since the early 1950s and this became the main output of the company until 1988. Cryselco continues to trade today, supplying the electrical wholesale trade with commercial light fittings.