In 1879 Dan Harries Evans opened a drapery shop at 320 Oxford Street in London’s West End. The shop expanded by buying up neighbouring premises, before moving to 290-294 Oxford Street and becoming a limited liability company.
The business continued to expand and evolved into a large department store. However, by 1928 D. H. Evans realised that further expansion without outside investment was not possible, and the company agreed a merger with Harrods Ltd., with Harrods as the senior partner. In 1935 a plot of land bounded by Oxford Street, Old Cavendish Street, Henrietta Street and Chapel Street was purchased, and a new D. H. Evans department store was built. The store fully opened in 1937 after being built in two phases.
In 1954 Harrods Ltd. was acquired by House of Fraser and D. H. Evans became a trading arm within the Harrods group. A second D. H. Evans store was added in Wood Green, London in 1980 and the Oxford Street store was refurbished twice between 1982 and 1985. In 2001 the store was rebranded under the House of Fraser name.