Thomas Day began manufacturing animal medicines in 1833 at Wantage, Oxfordshire, and then a year later at Red Lion Street in London. In the same year he launched the first known equine tonic Black Drink.
Thomas Day developed his company by concentrating on the manufacture of equine remedies. Day’s eldest son, William Henry, became partner in 1852 and the firm became titled Day & Son Limited.
In the 1880s the firm relocated to Hope Street in Crewe. The company flourished, and was for a time, the largest manufacturer of equine medicines in the UK.
In the 1970s the company moved to purpose built premises in Western Avenue, Crewe, and expanded its product range to include veterinary preparations aimed mainly at the large animal market.
Day & Sons continue today, providing a range of animal health and nutrition products for UK farmers.