Derry & Toms was a London department store established in the 1860s by Joseph Toms and his brother-in-law, Charles Derry. In 1920 the business was acquired by John Barker & Co.
In 1932, the store moved to a large seven storey building in Kensington High Street. The building was designed in an Art Deco style popular at the time and became famous for its Kensington Roof Gardens, which still remain today. The roof garden covers 6,000 square metres and is the largest roof garden in Europe.The main restaurant in the department store was on the 5th floor and was called “The Rainbow Room”. From the 1950s, it became a venue for thousands of banquets for both private companies and government departments.
The Derry & Toms store closed down in 1973, when it was purchased by Biba, who remained there for only a few years. The location is now a Marks & Spencers store.