The Direct United States Cable Company Ltd. was established at Old Broad Street, London in 1873 by Siemens Brothers to form a direct link between the UK and the US. However, it was soon found that the working speed of the cable would be too slow, and the idea was abandoned. The new route chosen was Ballinskelligs, Ireland to Tor Bay, Nova Scotia to Rye Beach, US.
The Direct U. S. Cable Co. Ltd. came under the control of the Anglo-American Telegraph Co. in 1877, although it continued to operate under its own name. In 1920 it was purchased by the GPO.