E. H. Booth & Co. Ltd. is currently a chain of 28 supermarkets (now known simply as Booths) in northern England. Most of its branches are located in Lancashire, but there are also branches in Cheshire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester, North Yorkshire and West Yorkshire.
In 1847 a 19-year-old tea dealer called Edwin Henry Booth opened a grocery shop in Blackpool. Changes in the licensing law allowed Edwin Booth to move into the wines and spirits trade in 1863, and new branches of the company were opened in Lytham in 1879 and Blackburn in 1884.
In 1896 Edwin’s son John joined the business and it was incorporated as a limited company. Under John Booth’s leadership the company opened cafés in the stores in 1902. The developing café society at this time meant Booths continued to prosper. John Booth recognised the enthusiasm of his staff by offering all of his employees a bonus on company profits and in 1920 the staff were invited to become shareholders in the company.
E. H. Booth & Co. Ltd. has continued to remain in the ownership of the Booth family, comprising over 250 shareholders in 2011 and with no individual having more than 12% of the total shares. The current chairman, Edwin J. Booth, is the fifth generation of Booths to run the company.