The East Surrey Water Company was formed in 1885 as a result of the merger between the Caterham Spring Water Company and the Kenley Water Company.
In 1927 the East Surrey Water Company merged with Leatherhead and District Water, then with the Chelsham and Warlingham Water Company in 1930. A further merger with the Dorking Water Company took place in 1959.
The Sutton District Water Company (SDWC) was formed in 1871 to take over the Sutton and Cheam Water Company. The new company supplied water to Sutton, Cheam, Carshalton, Wallington, Beddington, Morden, Banstead, Woodmansterne, Ewell and Cuddington.
In 1996 the East Surrey Water Company merged with Sutton District Water Co. to create Sutton and East Surrey Water.
It currently supplies customers in east Surrey, parts of west Sussex, west Kent and south London. The company has around 270,000 customers and serves a population of approximately 650,000 people.