In 1860 Edwin Jones opened a small shop in East Street, Southampton. The business prospered and grew to become the largest department store on the south coast of England.
In 1928 Edwin Jones & Co. was acquired by Debenhams but continued to operate under its original name.
During the Second World War the store was destroyed during the Blitz, and the new store was not completed until 1959. The store was renamed Debenhams in 1973.