Faire Bros & Co. was established in Leicester in 1855. The company made and supplied laces and elastic webbings and small ware for the shoe trade, becoming one of the largest firms in its field in the UK.
The company had a factory at St. George’s Mills, Leicester and warehouses in Borrowash, Derbyshire and London. In 1898 Faire Bros. moved to a new warehouse at Rutland Street, Leicester, which was considered to be architecturally one of the finest in Britain. The main warehouse had six lifts, an internal telephone system, plus five GPO lines.
In 1900 Faire Bros. & Co. was incorporated as a limited company.
In 1929 the business was listed as manufacturers of haberdashery and small ware, sphere suspenders, braces, garters, shoelaces, braids, cords, labels for shirts and slipper soles.
In 1967 the company was acquired by Phipps & Son and the retail side of the business was transferred to that company whilst Faire Bros. & Co. Ltd. continued as manufacturers.
Today, the business is part of a company with the same name based in Powys, Wales. The Rutland Street premises have been converted into apartments.
The company used at least four types of overprint on the 1d lilac (SG 172).