First National City Bank of New York

First National City Bank of New York

The City Bank of New York was founded on June 16th 1812.

The Bank financed war bonds for the Anglo-American War of 1812-1815. It served as a founding member of the financial clearing house in New York in 1853 and underwrote the Union during the American Civil War with $50 million in war bonds.

In 1865 the Bank joined the United States new national banking system and became the National City Bank of New York. In 1894 it had become the largest bank in the US. In the early part of the 20th century, international offices were opened in Buenos Aires, London, Shanghai, Calcutta and elsewhere.

In 1955 the National City Bank of New York merged with the First National Bank to become the First National City Bank of New York.

The title was shortened to First National City Bank in 1962.

In 1976 the Bank was renamed Citibank. Today, Citibank has a total of 2,649 branches in 19 countries, including 723 branches in the US. The Bank provides credit cards, mortgages, personal loans, commercial loans, and lines of credit.

Back