Flower & Sons Ltd. was a brewing company founded in 1831 by Edward Fordham Flower in Stratford-Upon-Avon.
The brewery was built on land between the Birmingham and Clopton roads, with a canal frontage for delivery and distribution. The business flourished and Edward’s sons, Charles and Edgar, were taken into partnership.
In 1870 larger premises were opened in Birmingham Road, the original brewery maintaining an administrative function with reduced production. The first tied public house was linked to the firm in 1836 and the company’s inn holdings expanded rapidly after incorporation as a limited company in 1888. The export trade always formed a large part of Flower & Son’s business, the “India Pale Ale” being of especial note.
Flower & Sons Ltd. was acquired by J.W. Green Ltd. of Luton in 1954 and the name was changed to Flowers Breweries. The business was acquired by Whitbreads in 1961 and Flower’s brewery in Stratford-Upon-Avon was closed down in 1968 with production transferred to Whitbread’s brewery in Cheltenham.