The roots of the company go back to 1843 when it was an ironmongery business based in Luton. The company was purchased by George Frederick Gibbs and then in 1894 bought by brothers William and Percy Dandy. Following the retirement of George Gibbs, the Dandy brothers maintained the local connection by naming the firm Gibbs & Dandy.
The Dandys continued trading as a partnership until the business became a limited company in 1920. It prospered and new premises were acquired in Luton and in Dunstable.
Gibbs & Dandy have continued to expand, and today the company is a network of 28 local builders and timber merchants serving professionals in the building trade.