Goulds Ltd. is a department store in Dorchester, Dorset.
The business began in 1902 when Harry Gould opened a draper’s shop on the corner of High East Street and Icen Way. The company enjoyed a period of steady growth during which the founder’s sons, Ronald, Arthur and Edward joined the firm, and Goulds continues to be a family run enterprise to this day.
In 1974 Goulds purchased the store of E. Morris & Son in Portland. In 1979 Houghton’s of Dorchester was acquired as a going concern and it was decided to concentrate efforts in Dorchester. The decision led to the closure of the Portland store in 1981. Goulds was then trading from three prime sites in Dorchester, in fashions, household goods, furniture and carpets.
In 1997 the company purchased the Humphries Garden Centre at Preston, Weymouth, covering a seven acre site and employing 25 staff. The garden centre underwent a major redevelopment in 2004.