H. Brooks & Co. were makers of keyboards for pianos and organs. The company was established by Henry Brooks in 1810 at 31 Lyme Street in London’s Camden Town, which at this time was the centre of piano and harmonium building
Another 19th century piano parts maker was the Herrburger company, which was established in Paris in 1844 originally under the mame of Schwander. In 1920 H. Brooks & Co. and Herrburger merged to form Herrburger Brooks. The combined company became a world leader in quality piano actions. From 1920 it was the sole manufacturer for Great Britain of Schwander actions. The company also made Herrburger, Brooks, Langer and other piano actions. Herrburger Brooks also manufactured keys and hammers for grand and upright pianos and organs.
The Paris branch of Herrburger Brooks closed in 1953 and production was transferred to a factory in Long Eaton, Derbyshire. The company was now the largest manufacturer of piano actions in Europe.
In 1965 the business was acquired by Kimball International Inc. In 1996 Kimball sold Herrburger Brooks to Harmony Pianos of Hong Kong, but two years later the company went into liquidation.