Henry Faulder & Co. was established as a wholesale grocery and confectionery business in Stockport, Lancashire. By 1893 the company was based at the Model Fruit Preserving Works at Norris Bank. In this year Henry Faulder wrote a book snappily titled Improved means for closing jars and other vessels containing preserved fruit, jellies and other similar confections.
By 1913 the company had expanded and diversified and was registered as Henry Faulder & Co. Ltd., chocolate and cocoa manufacturers, Stockport. At this time the firm had a works at Brighton Road, another at Warren Street and offices at 83 Petersgate.
In 1930 the company was renamed the Squirrel Chocolate and Confectionery Co. Ltd.
In 1936 the main works were renamed as the Squirrel Confectionery Works and the site was acquired by Cadburys for use as a distribution depot at the end of the year. The firm later became Squirrel Horn and made sweets such as cherry lips and floral gums. Squirrel’s sweets are currently produced by Tangerine Confectionery in Dorset.