Hallamshire Steel & File Co. was established in Sheffield in 1873 to produce a variety of forged and rolled steel products. The company manufactured alloy and steel bars, sheets, plates, wire rods and special steels for agricultural machinery.
In 1951 the company was nationalised under the Iron and Steel Act and became part of the Iron and Steel Corporation of Great Britain.
In 1953 the Iron and Steel Holding and Rationalization Agency was established to dispose of the Government’s holdings in iron and steel companies. The Agency was responsible for 62 companies including Hallamshire Steel which was sold to James Neil & Co. later the same year.