Henry Barker Ltd. was a firm of cabinet makers and upholsterers in Nottingham from at least 1880.
Smart & Brown was another company of cabinet makers in Nottingham, established by Joseph Austin Brown in c.1870.
The two companies remained independent until at least the 1930s, when at some point they merged to become Henry Barker, Smart & Brown Ltd.
The company were manufacturers and retailers with their own works for cabinet-making. The firm also carried out upholstery and decorating work and had a large furnishing store at 3 Angel Row in Nottingham. In addition to carrying large stocks of furniture, carpets and fabrics, the firm had a specially built depository to deal with furniture, storage and removals.
Today, the site of the company’s store is occupied by the Nottingham Central Library.