In 1836 Stephen George Holland and Frederick Sherry established a business as woollen merchants at 10 Old Bond Street, London, specialising in both woollen and silk cloths.
In 1886 Holland & Sherry moved to Golden Square which at the time was the centre of the woollen trade in London.
By 1900 the company was exporting to many countries and a sales office was established in New York. In the early part of the 20th century, the UK, Europe, North and South America were the dominant markets for the firm. There was also a Holland & Sherry warehouse in St. Petersburg, Russia.
Having established a reputation for providing superior fabrics to the most prestigious tailors and luxury brands, Holland & Sherry moved to Saville Row, and the company’s head office remains there today.
In 1968 Holland & Sherry acquired Scottish silk merchant, Lowe Donald, based in Peebles in the Scottish Borders, and decided to locate their distribution to the purpose built warehouse there.
In 1998 a division of the company called Holland & Sherry Interiors was created, offering a line of textiles for home interiors, from upholstery and drapery to fine accessories. Holland & Sherry has grown to develop collections that range from furnishings, wallcoverings, leather, hardware, trims and custom rugs and embroidery. Another division of the company is called Holland & Sherry Bespoke which offers a service for handmade bespoke suits and shirts.