The Houndsditch Warehouse was a large department store established in c.1924 at 133 Houndsditch, near Aldgate in London’s East End.
From 1957 the company was owned by Great Universal Stores.
The Houndsditch Warehouse offered a wide variety of merchandise, such as clothing, hardware, electrical goods, garden furniture and lighting, often at significantly discounted prices. The store was five storeys high and each floor was the size of a football pitch. The company is also notable for being one of the first retailers in the UK to accept credit cards and for being one of the first to advertise on the radio.
The store closed down in 1986 and an office block was later built on the site.