Ind, Coope & Co.

Ind, Coope & Co.

The origins of Ind Coope brewing company go back to 1709 when brewing was begun behind the Star Inn in Romford, Essex. In 1799 this pub was purchased by Edward Ind who built a larger brewery on the site. In 1845 brothers Octavius and George Coope became partners in the business which took the name Ind Coope & Co.

In 1856 the company opened a much larger brewery in Burton-upon-Trent. This was the first instance of an Essex brewer opening an establishment in Burton to take advantage of the Staffordshire town’s famed water. Part of the original brewery, including the water tower, is still standing today.

Ind Coope & Co. went into receivership in 1909 and was subsequently re-registered in 1912 as Ind Coope & Co. (1912) Ltd. The (1912) was dropped from the name in 1923.

After merging with Samuel Allsopp & Sons Ltd. in 1934, the company name was changed again to Ind Coope & Allsopp Ltd. and then to Ind Coope Ltd. in 1959. In 1961 the company merged with Tetley Walker Ltd. and Ansells Brewery Ltd. to form Allied Breweries Ltd. The company is now part of the Carlsberg-Tetley group.

Back