The Indo-European Telegraph Co. Ltd. (IETC) was established in 1868 following the Government’s legislation for domestic telegraph companies. The business was privately owned and operated by the Siemens company.
IETC intended to complete a 6,900 mile long telegraph line between London and Calcutta. The line was completed after two years of construction. Messages could be sent from any office of the IETC to Calcutta, Bombay, Madras, and all places west of Chittagong. Messages could reach Teheran by automatic relay in just one minute and Calcutta was reached in 28 minutes.
Apart from a halt to operations due to the First World War and its aftermath, the line was in continual operation until the concession in Persia ended in 1931 and the wires were subsequently abandoned.
In 1929 IETC was acquired by Imperial & International Communications, a predecessor to Cable & Wireless.