In 1795 John Hunt Gosling founded a drapery store at 80 George Street, Richmond, London. The shop evolved into a department store, expanding into neighbouring shops and even acquiring the Queen’s Head Hotel at the corner of George Street and King Street.
At some point the company was renamed Gosling & Sons Ltd.
The business was taken over by John Barker & Co. Ltd. in 1947.
The store was largely destroyed by fire in 1968 and had to close down. Two years later it was reopened as a Dickens & Jones department store. The premises are currently occupied by House of Fraser.