J. Hewit & Sons Ltd. is a leather manufacturing company in Livingston, West Lothian, with over a 200 year history in manufacturing quality leathers for bookbinding and leather goods production.
The company traces its roots to 1806 when Hugh Hewat was running a shoemaker’s shop in Edinburgh. In 1824 his son Thomas expanded the business by opening a leather warehouse and the firm began supplying leather to independent shoemakers. On Thomas’s death in 1849, his wife Janet took control of the company for her three sons, the oldest of whom was just nineteen at the time, and the firm became titled J. Hewit & Sons.
In 1865 a tannery was established in the heart of Edinburgh and the company continued to use it until 1969 when it was decided to consolidate into one building at Currie on the outskirts of the city. In 1886, at the International Exhibition in Edinburgh, the company was awarded a prize medal for “excellence of manufacture of coloured leathers”.
By 1889 Hewit had expanded into supplying the bookbinding trade. In 1913 premises at Currie were established. In 1948 Hewit acquired a London bookbinding supplies company called A. Warren & Co. to consolidate its bookbinding side of the business.
In 1969 the company merged its two tanneries into the premises at Currie. In 2010 the company relocated to its current address in Livingston.