Jackson & Graham were high quality furniture makers and one of the most prestigious cabinet makers of the 19th century.
The company was established in 1836 by Thomas Jackson and Peter Graham at 37 Oxford Street in London. The premises were gradually expanded until the company owned six builings along the street.
Jackson & Graham were particularly noted for their fine marquetry work, the use of Wedgwood plaques, ivory inlay, rare woods and fine casting of bronze mounts. The company represented Britain at many of the international exhibitions and customers included Queen Victoria, Napoleon III and the royalty of Egypt and Siam.
Jackson & Graham employed fashionable designers and architects to enhance their work. Amongst these the company employed Dr. Christopher Dresser and Bruce Talbot. However the longest and closest affiliate was Owen Jones who created some of the company’s most innovative forms.
In the 1850s the Jackson & Graham workforce was recorded as 250, and by 1875 the company was employing 600 workers. The firm gradually moved into decline through a mixture of internal strife and external trading conditions, finally being taken over by their rivals, Collinson & Lock in 1885.