James Pearsall & Co. is a long-established silk thread manufacturing company in London.
The firm was founded in 1795 as Pearsall & Green, wholesale and retail silk merchants. The company supplied the lace industry in the west of England, which was flourishing at this time. The company shop at 134 Cheapside, London EC. became a well known resort for the ladies of London to buy silks for the knitted and netted purses fashionable at this time.
In 1865, William George Rawlinson, a silk merchant from Taunton in Somerset, purchased the company, by now titled James Pearsall & Co. Rawlinson left the company name unchanged and ran the business in connection with his silk mills in Taunton.
During the early and mid 19th century, the staple trade consisted of the import of Berlin wools, needlework and embroidery silks from Germany, together with a considerable trade in silks for fringes, scarves and for use in machines.
The company continues today as Pearsalls Ltd., producing silk thread for embroidery and gosamer silk thread for fly tyers and fishing rod makers.