Jas. Vickers & Co. were wine and spirit merchants, spirit distillers and isinglass manufacturers and rectifiers, specialising later on in the manufacture of isinglass and wine filtration aids.
The company was established in 1841 at 11 Mark Lane, London, by brothers James and Edward Vickers. By 1842 the company had moved to premises at 6 Devonshire Square which housed a distillery, a warehouse and one of the family homes. The firm remained at this location until 1940 when it moved to Coggeshall, Essex, where a factory was established for the production of isinglss. (Isinglass is a substance obtained from the dried swim bladders of fish. It is a form of collagen used mainly for the clarification of wine and beer.)
In 1997 Jas. Vickers & Co. merged with Alpha Beta Ltd. of Runcorn to form AB Vickers.
The works in Coggeshall were closed down and isinglass production was moved to Burton-on-Trent. AB Vickers Ltd. subsequently broadened its product range and has developed a significant global business, supplying process aids to breweries and wineries around the world.