John Walsh Ltd. was a family-owned department store in Sheffield.
In 1875, John Walsh opened a small, baby linen and ladies’ outfitting shop at 39 High Street, Sheffield. This shop was to grow into a large department store which sold silks, dresses, ribbons, laces, flowers, toys, stationery, patent medicine and other goods, as well as maintaining a restaurant and writing rooms. John Walsh Ltd. also made furniture and carried out household removals.
During the Second World War, the John Walsh store was destroyed in the Sheffield Blitz and subsequently a temporary war-time store was opened at the Mount.
John Walsh Ltd. was acquired by Harrods Ltd. in 1946.
A new store was built on the site of the High Street premises in 1953. In 1959, John Walsh Ltd came under the control of House of Fraser Ltd.
From 1987 the department store was renamed House of Fraser, Sheffield. The store closed down in 1998.