Lloyds Bank was a British retail bank which operated from 1765 until its merger into Lloyds TSB in 1995; it remains a registered company but is currently dormant.
The origins of Lloyds Bank date from 1765, when button maker John Taylor and iron producer and dealer Sampson Lloyd II set up a private banking business in Birmingham. The first branch office opened in Oldbury in 1864.
The symbol adopted by Taylors and Lloyds was the beehive, representing industry and hard work. The black horse device dates from 1677 when Humphrey Stokes adopted it as a sign for his shop. When the bank took over the site in 1884, it retained the black horse as its symbol.
Lloyds Bank expanded and by 1923 had made some fifty takeovers.
In 1995 Lloyds merged with the Trustee Savings Bank (TSB Group) to form Lloyds TSB Group plc, making it the largest bank in the UK at that time.
In 2009, following the acquisition of HBOS, Lloyds TSB Group was renamed Lloyds Banking Group and in 2010 it was announced that the Group’s principal subsidiary, Lloyds TSB Bank, will transition to the Lloyds Bank name by 2013.
Note the two different overprint types on SG 421. After this issue Lloyds overprints become more standard, although SG 465 and 488 see use of a serif font rather than the block print of other issues.