Macfarlane, Lang & Co. was a biscuit manufacturer in Glasgow.
The origins of the company go back to 1817 when James Lang opened a bakery in Gallowgate. Lang’s nephew, John Macfarlane later joined the business which became styled Macfarlane, Lang & Co. in 1841.
A new bakery was established at Wesleyan Street in Calton, Glasgow in 1880. In 1886 the firm built its first biscuit factory, called the Victoria Biscuit Works, on a site next to the bakery.
Expansion to London followed, with the opening of the Imperial Biscuit Works in Fulham, west London, in 1903. In 1904 the firm was incorprated as a limited liability company; Macfarlane, Lang & Co. Ltd. In 1925 a new Victoria Biscuit Works with modern equipment was opened in Tollcross.
United Biscuits has since expanded to become one of the leading food suppliers in the UK, and the Tollcross factory remains a major employer in Glasgow’s East End.
In 2014 United Biscuits was acquired by Yildiz Holding, a major manufacturer of food products.