The Manchester Fire Assurance Company was established in 1824 to offer fire and life insurance. The head office of the company was at 98 King Street, Manchester, with a London office at 96 Cheapside.
The company sold its life business in 1846 to the Pelican Life Insurance Company, and was renamed the Manchester Assurance Company.
In 1899 the firm started to transact accident business but sold this part of the business two years later to the Lancashire & Yorkshire Accident Insurance Co. Ltd.
In 1901 the company’s name became the Manchester Fire & Life Assurance Company and in 1904 it was acquired by the Atlas Assurance Co. Ltd.