Mappin & Webb is a retail jeweller and noted firm of silversmiths.
The origins of the company can be traced to 1774, when Jonathan Mappin opened a small silversmith workshop in Sheffield. Over the next fifteen years Jonathan Mappin’s reputation for producing high quality silver spread throughout Sheffield and the company grew steadily. Jonathan’s son Joseph followed him into the business, then came his grandson, also called Joseph, but it was under his four great grandsons that the company became Mappin Brothers.
The first store to be opened in London was in 1849 at 17 Fore Street and was soon followed by shops in Moorgate and King William Street.
In 1858, following rapid expansion of the Sheffield factory, John Newton Mappin invited his brother-in-law, George Webb to join him in the business which now took the name of Mappin & Webb.
Mappin & Webb prospered. The company had a large showroom at Norfolk Street and by 1897 had been granted a Royal Warrant. Today Mappin & Webb is silversmith to both Queen Elizabeth II and to the Prince of Wales.
Mappin & Webb was taken over by Asprey & Co. in the 1980s but was sold on later. The business is now a brand owned by the Jewellers Goldsmiths group.