The roots of the company begin in the early years following the formation of the Birmingham Stock Exchange in 1845. One of the founding members of the Exchange was Herbert Margetts who formed a partnership with another stockbroker called T. Jervis Addenbrooke.
In 1895 a private wire was installed from the company offices direct to the London Stock Exchange. This was the first ever direct telephone from Birmingham to the London market.
Herbert Margetts died in 1909 and T. Jervis Addenbrooke took sole control of the company until his retirement in 1937.
The firm has continued under new management, and today is styled Margetts Fund Management, a privately owned investment boutique which specialises in managing risk rated multi-manager funds.