In 1844 a Scotsman called Peter McIntyre established a shirt manufacturing and wholesaling company with his brother-in-law in Londonderry, Northern Ireland. In 1855 this partnership broke up and McIntyre entered into a lasting association with Adam Hogg; forming McIntyre, Hogg & Co.
Although the company had a factory in Foyle Street, Londonderry, most of the sewing was carried out by women in their homes across the city, and was collected weekly.
The centralised factory system came with the introduction of sewing machines, which McIntyre, Hogg & Co. took up in 1857. The existing factory soon became too small to accommodate the growing firm and in 1863 a new factory was opened in Londonderry. By 1870 the two factories were employing a total of 2,600 workers.
Two more factories were soon established in London and Cheddar in Somerset. At this time the company’s home trade was booming and there was a large export trade to Australia, South Africa and the East and West Indies. To meet growing demand, the Cheddar premises were enlarged and in 1882 a new warehouse was built in Basinghall Street, London.
In 1884 H. J. Marsh joined the company as partner. He became the manager of the new warehouse and in 1891 the firm was restyled as McIntyre, Hogg, Marsh & Co.
In 1908 the business was incorporated as a limited company.
During the Second World War the company produced shirts for the Armed Forces.
In the 1950s the company’s RADIAC brand of shirts, collars and pyjamas was widely advertised.
In c.1961 McIntyre, Hogg, Marsh & Co. Ltd. was taken over by the English Sewing Cotton Company.