In 1841 George McCorquodale opened a stationer’s shop in Liverpool which became the Liverpool Printing and Stationery Co. Ltd.
The company prospered and five years later George set up the first McCorquodale printing works at Newton-le-Willows in Lancashire, specialising in providing a service to the expanding railway network. In the 1870s McCorquodale & Co. opened further factories in Glasgow, London and Leeds.
The railway town of Wolverton had a labour problem, for although the men were all gainfully employed in the railway works, their wives and daughters remained unemployed. Sir Richard Moon, chairman of the London & North Western Railway, had an idea for solving the problem and contacted his friend George McCorquodale and suggested that he build a printing works in the town.
McCorquodale readily agreed and established a printing works in Wolverton in 1878. The works specialised in the production of registered envelopes but soon diversified into the printing of books and commercial stationery.
The company also secured a number of government contracts such as for the printing of old age pension forms, postal orders and widow and orphan forms. By 1886 the Wolverton works was regarded as one of the finest printing factorues in the country and employed 120 girls and women. The total workforce of McCorquodales was around 1,800 people and it was one of the largest printers in Britain.
The Liverpool Printing & Stationery Company still exists today, although it was taken over in a hostile bid by Robert Maxwell in the 1980s and is no longer in the hands of the McCorquodale family.
In 2005 McCorquodale & Co. re-invented itself following a merger with another printing company. Today the company offers a range of services such as printing design and website design.