The North Thames Gas Board was a state-owned utility providing gas for light and heat to industries and homes in part of England. The Board’s area included parts of the County of London, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Middlesex and Surrey.
The North Thames Gas Board was established on 1st May 1949, and dissolved in 1973 when it became a region of the British Gas Corporation.
North Thames Gas Board used 5 styles of overprint. The first, V2a is known on SG 465, 488, 506 and 518. H2d is recorded on SG 488 only. V2c is known on SG 506, 518 and 573. C1a was used on SG 518 only. The last overprint used by the company was initials only style X4a, recorded on SG 518, 573, 726, 727.